Did you know that the earliest ever recorded mattress is estimated to be 77,000 years old? Mattresses have indeed been used for centuries in various forms and shapes. The word’mattress’ is derived from the Arabic language which means to’throw down something’. This is also where the term’mat’ comes from. Ancient civilizations constructed mattresses using an assortment of natural materials including feathers, horse hair and straw. Today, mattress technology has become cutting edge. New levels of comfort have been attained; making mattress encounters for sleepers even better.
There are innumerable kinds and types of mattresses to see in the market. Knowing the specifications of various mattress types can allow you to choose what works for you best. Below is a drill-down of the top kinds.
- Innerspring mattresses
Here, springs are connected to form the bigger support base. This technology is considered traditional. Having said this, it’s still the most popular type of mattress to many. Innerspring mattresses are a few of the most affordable; and this is one of the reasons why they’re still popular. Below are other advantages;
- They are readily available in the market
- You can choose the degree of firmness as you desire
- When they are beginning to wear, the springs will create a squeaky noise which is unpleasant
- They could do a better job to tackle pressure points and pain
- They are not as durable compared to other types
- Memory foam mattresses
Foam technology is known for its great comforts by sleepers. This makes them very popular in the market. They are highly snug and will take your relaxation to another level. Regarding comfort, this kind enjoys great customer satisfaction feedback. Other benefits are as follows;
- Relieves pressure points economically
- Ensures that your spine aligns properly
- Known to stop pains and aches while sleeping
- The motion transfer with the mattress is very low
- Not prone to attack by allergens like dust mites
- Fits nicely in adjustable beds
- No Significant demerits to note, for low budget sleepers though, the mattress is not the most budget-friendly
- Natural fiber mattresses
These kinds are created using natural fibers rather than synthetic materials such as foams. Since they’re natural, this type of mattress is pricier. If you are seeking a green way to spend your time in bed, then this is the best way to do it. This is the most eco-friendly mattress option in the industry. Buying this mattress will literally lower your carbon footprint. There are all manner of natural fibers to select from. You can go with organic cotton, organic wool, bamboo, latex gotten from rubber trees, coconut coir and hemp. All the organic fibers include their own merits. By way of example, if you are searching for something lasting, organic cotton mattresses may last up to 15 years. Wool on the other hand is well known for its great comfort and temperature regulation. Latex is flame resistant and bamboo is a great resource that is renewable. If you desire a buoyant mattress, you can think about coconut coir.
- Latex mattresses
These are some of the most popular mattresses in the market today. First, latex is a natural substance that’s durable and comfortable. However, bear in mind that latex products aren’t all made the same. In actuality, many latex mattresses might be a hybrid of other materials. Therefore, knowing the type of latex will assist you in the buying procedure. You can be sure that based on the manufacturing, latex products will fluctuate in quality.
- The mattress will not require any rotation or flipping
- They have small off-gasing
- They mostly do not use any chemicals
- They are heavier and moving them can be awkward
- They are more costly and budget buyers might not afford them
- Waterbed mattresses
Waterbeds were first made in the 1800s by a doctor who was looking to make the life of his patients simpler. The Scottish physician pioneered waterbeds in a bid to tackle bedsores.
- Redefines comfort and can make your back more limber or flexible
- Perhaps not the most portable option
- Complicated set up process and can be prone to puncturing and leakage
- Pillow-top mattresses
This mattress technology is best known for the extra padding and layering it increases the mattress. They can be used along with other mattress technologies. Also, you have hybrid choices for materials including cotton, foam, fiber picture, wool, latex and memory foam.
- The extra padding is highly comfortable
- Doesn’t overheat and is washable
- Has a Fast bounce-back
- Some sleepers can find it too soft
- Gives out a slight odor
- Gel mattresses
This is a technology that utilizes foam which contains gel. There are many approaches to adding the gel from the foam and to this end, sleepers are supplied with better comfort and general feel. This type is usually fitted with features that eliminate overheating to control the temperatures. It is a good option when you’re searching for a dynamic mattress that will provide you a top quality sleep experience.
- Hybrid mattresses
These are extremely common types and they comprise a blend of various mattress technologies. A steel coil system is combined with all manner of foams including memory, latex and polyurethane. Foams that have gel may also be combined to create hybrids. The mattress seeks to enhance comfort by incorporating many elements that make mattresses function optimally.
When should you buy a new mattress?
After 5 to 10 years, experts recommend tossing your old mattress and buying a new one. However, the reality can be different. One significant reason to buy a new mattress would be to address your comfort needs. If you have been struggling with back pain and standard sleeping discomfort when you go to bed, then this is an excellent indicator that you might require a new one. If you are looking to upgrade and receive a new technology, this is another good reason to purchase a new mattress. In case you have had a mattress for near ten years and it’s still serving you perfectly, purchasing a new mattress might not be that necessary. If you are asking when is a good time to buy a mattress, individual factors will apply. Nevertheless, once you’re ready to purchase, you will be delighted to know that buying the perfect mattress on the internet is possible. In actuality, you can buy a cheap mattress on the internet without compromising the quality.
What are the benefits of purchasing a mattress online?
- The first and most obvious benefit is that you enjoy advantage. This way, you can eat less time because you don’t have to make your way into a physical store. No matter where you are, you can shop for a mattress on the internet.
- You can expect to pay less for your mattress when you buy online. This is because physical stores will always have a higher cost. Online, you can purchase directly from the manufacturer or access great discounts from virtual sellers.
- It is simpler to get all the item information online compared to brick and mortar stores. In actuality, you can take time to find out more about the mattress without being diverted by a salesperson. In so doing, you are able to generate a more informed decision on the mattress you want.
Additionally, the mattress can be delivered with no supervision or presence; unlike in conventional stores.
This means that purchasing a mattress in a physical store does not give you any extra advantage compared to buying online.
- Online retailers are known for their exceptional customer service in contrast to physical stores. With a great buying experience, clients will refer others and also buy again.
Downsides of Purchasing online
- Most online sellers Won’t offer old bed removal services
- You do not have the chance to test the mattress before purchasing; however, some online mattresses do carry a trail period
Extensive guide to buy the perfect mattress online
At the beginning of this guide, a list of various kinds of mattresses were given. Examine the merits and demerits. Think about the features and specifications of each type. If you are searching for something that will alleviate back pain effectively, determine what’s very likely to work for you. Narrow down your choices and make comparisons. When you have a better idea on the most suitable type, move on to the next step.
- Consider your mattress budget needs
Know the price range you’re working with. This will let you narrow down the list further to the most affordable type for you. There are a variety of factors that determine the price of a mattress. The first element is that the size, the larger the mattress, the more expensive it will be. Mattresses come in a variety of sizes from small to super king size. The article, technology and brand will also determine the whole cost. Take advantage of special discounts to get the most acceptable mattress at the lowest price possible. Keep a keen eye on sales and offers by online stores.
Some online stores will offer a complete mattress service which contains the assembly of the product in your house. Other sellers will only undertake a door shipping. Be aware of what the return policies and the charges they attract. If there are any hidden or additional charges, you should know. Many mattresses come with a trial period. Also, look at the warranty information regarding the mattress, it can vary from two years to 25 years.
- Read independent customer reviews
Search online for impartial reviews on the mattress you are looking to buy. Get the entire feedback so that you can get a sense of what it is you’re buying. Besides getting feedback about the quality of the mattress, look at the customer service at various online stores. This way, you can decide the best stores to buy a mattress.